What is A2P 10DLC (Application-to-Person via 10-digit long code)? It is a program that is being implemented by the mobile carriers to support SMS/MMS message delivery that originates from an application and not another handset (P2P). Carriers have considered A2P messaging to be unsanctioned; and, for this reason, messages were subject to throttling and/or blocking. The A2P 10DLC program has been specially designed and sanctioned for business messaging - offering simplicity, stability, delivery reliability, and security to businesses and their audiences. It will also support the volume of messaging throughput that almost any business use case might require.
Throughout 2021, the Mobile Carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and others) will be implementing their own specific version(s) of A2P 10DLC. AT&T is the first to announce the implementation of their A2P 10DLC program for SMS which becomes effective March 1, 2021.
How does this impact you:
This implementation of A2P 10DLC will require the registration of all US long code numbers (excluding toll-free numbers). The registration process will associate a 10DLC with both a Company (“brand”) and the message content type that will be sent using the approved company long code number(s) (“campaign”).
- A grace period will be allowed until June 1, 2021 for unregistered campaigns and their messages to be delivered, at the discretion of the mobile network operators.
- Additional surcharges may be applied to messages during this grace period, per carrier regulations, and may be passed-through to you.
- After the grace period has expired, any messages from unregistered campaigns will not be delivered.
- Additional fees and surcharges are expected as the other mobile carriers bring their A2P 10DLC programs online.
What do you need to do:
If you use SMS messaging as part of your customer engagement strategy, or if you plan to introduce messaging in the near future, there is an immediate requirement to register both your Brand and Campaign(s) in order to prepare for the new A2P 10DLC program(s).
Contact Ytel Customer Support by clicking the chat icon to begin this process.
How does Campaign Registry for A2P 10DLC function:
- All companies must first register as a Brand.
- For each message content type, a Campaign is registered. The Campaign will be associated with the Brand and, in most cases, a single Telephone Number will be used to transmit SMS messages for that campaign.
- Brands (companies) can have many different types of campaigns registered. If your company has multiple types of content, (for example: OTP, notifications, customer services communications…) then Campaigns will be registered for each.
- Upon completion of the Brand registration form and Campaign registration form, a score will be generated from each Mobile Network Operator indicating, to Ytel, the following controls to be placed on your Campaign(s):
- Throughput Rate Limits
Is there another way?
An alternative to A2P 10DLC is to register and use a Toll-Free Number (TFN) for SMS delivery. The approval process is similar to Brand and Campaign Registrations, with a few notable differences. To begin the application process for A2P Toll Free Whitelisted service, contact Customer Support via live chat.
Keep checking this article periodically as we will be making updates as new information is learned from the mobile carriers.
At Ytel, we are committed to helping our customers understand the evolving requirements of the changing communication environment. We understand the impact this new program will immediately have on your business, once it goes live, and will continue to leverage close relationships with all major US carriers to supply the best information and services available.
If you have any questions or need additional information we are ready to help.
For customer support, email us at email@example.com or start a live chat by clicking the icon at the lower right of your screen, we are available M-F 6am-6pm PST